You will need the following to set up your basic website:
- The first step is to select a domain name. It should reflect the name and nature of business and your goal(s); your reason(s) for being online. Also check social media to be sure the account name matching the domain name you want is available. If you give me the desired keywords, I can look this up for you.
- Obtain a hosting plan, or I can provide one for you.
- Design your branding for the site, which means your color scheme, logo, tagline and . Fonts should contrast with background well for easy reading. (One of my biggest peeves: when the font is barely grey on white background and I struggle to read it!)
- Map out desired visitor actions, then share this map with others to see if they agree it is logical.
- Prepare your mission statement (keep concise, compare/align to other businesses).
- Collect data needed for the site such as business name, logo, contact info, media (photos and videos) you will use. Plan for a schedule of posts to keep the information on the site fresh, so visitors will return often!
- Prepare text of previous testimonials/reviews from actual clients. If the clients allow it, include their name or initials and a photo or avatar so that it is more personal.
- Gather frequently asked questions and their answers for a FAQ.
- Decide what theme should look like: parallax scrolling, magazine style, porfolio, etc.
- Decide which social media accounts you will use, and plan out how often you will post/update. The nice thing about using social media is that they can be synced with your website to auto-post any new posts on the website! I call it double dipping on promotion.
For add-ons, you will need also:
Products: Gather up information on your products/services for your e-commerce store including title, pricing, description, photos, sale dates, variations of color, size, service plan features etc.